Halloween is fast approaching. Here’s a list of activities planned
• The Genoa Park District will host a Trunk-o-Treat drive-thru event in Custom Aluminum’s parking lot from 1 to 3 p.m. on Halloween, Saturday, Oct. 31. Candy will distributed to the person sitting in the passenger seat. Candy passers will be wearing face masks and gloves, and participants are asked to stay in their cars at all times. The event will also feature a costume contest, and photos of the winners will appear on the park district’s Facebook page. Pre-registration online is required.
• The DeKalb Park District will host a Halloween house decorating contest for DeKalb residents only. The deadline to register was Oct. 20. All displays will be judged by park district staff for the best overall theme between 4 and 9 p.m. Oct. 21. All displays will also be judged online through the district’s Facebook page for a people’s choice award, Oct. 22 through Oct. 30. The image with the most likes by 9 p.m. Oct. 30 wins and the winner will be announced Oct. 31.
• The annual Downtown DeKalb Spooktacular will be held from 3 to 6 p.m. Oct. 21 in front of the Egyptian Theatre, 135 N. Second St. Children can wear their costume and mask to get their picture taken under the theater's marquee and be handed an individual bag of candy. Pictures will be entered in a costume contest on the DeKalb Chamber of Commerce's Facebook page.
• The Egyptian Theatre will host a screening of the Disney movie, "Hocus Pocus," at 6:30 p.m. Oct. 21. All proceeds will support the theater. Limited tickets available. Purchase tickets at egyptiantheatre.org or call the box office at 815-758-1215.
• Howl-o-Ween will take place at 11 a.m. Oct. 24 at Katz Park, 393 W. Dresser Road. Participants can bring their costumed dog to compete in a contest. The event is free but pre-registration is required. Judging begins at 11 a.m., with prizes in the following categories: most “spook-tacular,” “howling” with laughter and best owner/pet costume combo.
• Although this year’s Sycamore Pumpkin Festival was canceled, the Sycamore Lions Club will still host a decorated pumpkin contest. The drive-thru event will be held Oct. 21 through Oct. 25 at the Sycamore Park on Airport Road. The display area will be located by the Lions and Good Tymes shelters in the park. Pumpkin display set-up will be from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 21 and Oct. 22, with viewing on Oct. 23 through 4 p.m. Oct. 25. Judging of the pumpkins will be Oct. 23. For more information, visit the Sycamore Lions Club’s website, www.sycamorelions.org or their Facebook page.
• The Pumpkin Scramble will take place at the Sycamore Park District on Oct. 24. Cost is $100 per team and does not include green fees or carts. No handicaps are needed. Entry fees go into the prize pool.
• The Kishwaukee Family YMCA, 2500 W. Bethany Road, will host a Drive-Thru Trunk-or-Treat event from 4 to 6 p.m. Oct. 24. This event is free and open to the community. COVID-19 guidelines will be practiced. Attendees must remain in their vehicle. Cars should enter the line from Health Services Drive near Bethany Animal Hospital. This event is subject to change or cancellation due to COVID-19 guidelines based on restrictions in place at the time of the event.
• Doggie Trick-or-Treat will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 30 at the Sycamore Park District Community Center. Every dog that attends will receive a free treat.