DeKalb County schools got a slice of the $1.2 million in grants Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White recently distributed to Illinois schools.
More than $13,000 was awarded to local schools through the 2020 School District Library Grant Program. The list of county schools and the amount each received follows:
• DeKalb School District 428 – $4,698
• Genoa-Kingston School District 424 – $1,212
• Hiawatha School District 426 – $750
• Hinckley-Big Rock School District 429 – $750
• Indian Creek School District 425 – $750
• Sandwich Sandwich District 430 – $1,428
• Somonauk School District 432 – $750
• Sycamore School District 427 – $2,756
The school library grants were awarded based on a formula of 75 cents a student, with a $750 minimum per school.
White, a former public school teacher and administrator, said he knows school libraries are important in helping students learn and preparing them for the future, according to a news release.
School libraries can use the funds to acquire books, educational CDs and DVDs and library subscriptions to electronic resources and to improve their technology by purchasing new computers or improving Wi Fi connectivity.