Looking Back

Looking Back for March 6, 2019

Greentown School, 1908, Victor Township in section 5 at the corner of Leland and Chicago roads.  The school is named for the Greene family. Thanks to the Joiner History Room for the photo.
Greentown School, 1908, Victor Township in section 5 at the corner of Leland and Chicago roads.  The school is named for the Greene family. Thanks to the Joiner History Room for the photo.

1919 – 100 YEARS AGO

Announcement was made this week of a farm auction sale to be held by Sellgren & Dutton on the old Paine & Sutton farm, two miles east of Cortland and a short distance north of the C.A. & D. line. The list of property is 48 head of livestock including nine horses, 51 cattle, and seven swine. There is also a fine lot of farm equipment such as machinery and other goods. The farm is a good one and the outfit is first class so there will probably be a large attendance at the sale.

Preliminary steps for the organization of a grain elevator company have been started by Sycamore farmers. The company will be known as the Sycamore Farmer’s company and will be capitalized at $25,000. The company’s elevator will be located at Sycamore. More than 100 farmers are said to be interested in the organization.

Joe Cohn, a returned soldier lad, who was in the service for seven months at Camp Jackson, South Carolina, has recently been mustered out, and has started a shoe repair shop in the little building next to the Nehring Electrical Works on East Lincoln Highway in DeKalb. Cohn was a cobbler by trade when he entered the service, and was in business at Earlville, and when mustered out, thought DeKalb looked good to him and is getting his share of the business in this line.

Claus Collin, the cement manufacturer, has been kept unusually busy of late, making burial vaults, and many of them are being shipped to various parts of the state. Recently when one of his men was at work in a cemetery, a Mendota undertaker made some inquiries about the vaults, and as a result, the DeKalb maker received a telephone order for one to be shipped via express to Mendota. This is the farthest point that Mr. Collin has been called upon to ship his product.

Mr. and Mrs. Sam Blair had a scare yesterday afternoon when their two little tots, one aged three and the other five years, managed to sneak away from the parental roof, and get up town. The police received a call at 3:00 o’clock that the little tots were missing and about an hour later, the frightened mother phoned in again that the children had been found in one of the local stores.

1944 – 75 YEARS AGO

Because of the huge piles of snow at the curb along State Street in Sycamore, autoists coming for shipping parked their cars at any and all angles, and in one or two instances where pathways had been cleared to fire hydrants these were blocked. Police department officials were on alert, however, and while no tickets were handed out for the violation, the drivers were asked to remove their machines from in front of the fire plugs.

On account of the blizzard and drifted roads in Fairdale, many of the men driving to Rockford to work were late in arriving home.

Having completed the paying of its mortgage, recently, the Trinity Lutheran church celebrated their good fortune in an impressive ceremony when the mortgage was burned.

A telephone has been installed at the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Harold Hunter of Esmond.

Sometime during the early hours, a burglary was staged at the McCabe Tavern, 157 East Lincoln Highway in DeKalb, and about $90 was taken. As far as could be determined after a close check had been made, no liquor or any other valuables were secured by the thieves. Apparently, the burglars were only interested in cash and were not looking for anything else as nothing in the tavern had been disturbed except for the cash registers.

Workmen have been busy during the last week removing the fixtures from the Stoler store building, which has been leased by the A and P store. It is understood the A and P store manager has hopes of starting moving operations shortly. Wetzel Brothers have purchased the building now occupied by the chain store, but it is understood extensive alterations will be made in the room, the mezzanine and the basement before the jewelers transfer their stock.

War Food Administration authorities have designated winter grown cabbage as a victory food selection from February 24 through March 4 and urged the nation to increase consumption of the popular leafy green vegetable throughout the ten-day period. With an indicated crop of 483,600 tons moving to market, 73 percent larger than last year, the director has called upon housewives, food merchants, restaurants, hotels, and institutions to join in the campaign to serve more cabbage during the period when market are expected to be at their peak.

Mildred Byers of Kirkland has resigned her position at the DeKalb Agriculture office. She will leave this week to enter training in the WAVES.

1969 – 50 YEARS AGO

One of DeKalb’s old landmarks is disappearing in the path of progress. The Illehamwood barn on North First Street was built around the turn of the century as part of the I. L. Ellwood farm.

Announced at the regular meeting of the Genoa Chamber of Commerce was the institution of the “Helping Hand”, a program designed to offer aid to children in the event of an emergency. A list of residents who wish to participate in the program will be submitted to screening committees comprised of school faculty members, local laws enforcement and a citizen’s committee.

The State of Illinois has authorized the city of DeKalb to enter the 300-acre area of the proposed new city airport site and conduct soil borings and other engineering studies. The 300-acre site for the new city airport is located two miles southeast of DeKalb, north of Gurler Road between Somonauk and Webster Roads.

Establishment of a fertilizer blending plant south of the Illinois Central Railroad and east of the Annie Glidden Road will go before the Board of Supervisors in the March session.

From records maintained by employees of the Sycamore city clerk’s office, it was noted that a total of $41,891.98 was collected from the city’s parking meters and from fines paid for violations during the year 1968.

1994 – 25 YEARS AGO

DeKalb County Highway Department officials will soon be talking to property owners along the proposed route of Peace Road, north of Route 64 to Plank Road, about the purchase of the necessary right of way.

In September of 1991, the DeKalb Board of Education decided to remodel Huntley Middle School and Clinton Rosette Middle School to alleviate overcrowding. To date, the DeKalb school board has spent $146,000 in architect fees alone, Huntley is only partially finished, and Rosette hasn't been started.

Northern Illinois University officials plan to oppose a rezoning request at the DeKalb City Planning Commission meeting. The proposed development, which is called Westview and is located next to NIU's Human Resource building on W. Lincoln Highway, would put in 217 housing units including multi-family buildings and single-family residences.

Kishwaukee College has received its second quarterly payment from the state, totaling $600,000 and erasing the need to sell tax anticipation warrants to keep operating.

• Compiled by the Joiner History Room, DeKalb County Archives.

Loading more