The Holiday Gift Auction is Live! Click here and bid now on great local gifts!
Looking Back

Looking Back for July 19, 2017

East School in DeKalb at the corner of Lincoln Highway and Eleventh street in 1898. The building was torn down in December 1914 to make room for a park. Thanks to the Joiner History Room for the photo.
East School in DeKalb at the corner of Lincoln Highway and Eleventh street in 1898. The building was torn down in December 1914 to make room for a park. Thanks to the Joiner History Room for the photo.

1917 – 100 YEARS AGO

Work was begun on the State Road north of town, now Waterman Road or narrow cement, as many call it.

Now that the mayor has appointed a hospital board, suggestions for a site for the new hospital would be in order. There is a little parcel of ground on the left-hand side of the Sycamore road just after you pass Seventh street going toward the county seat, that would make an ideal location for an up-to-date hospital building. It is about ten blocks from the depot and away from the noise and smoke of trains and factories, high and dry, with good drainage, plenty of shade and will not interfere with residence property.

C. E. Nichols and a force of men are here for the next 15 days, cooperating with the DeKalb-Sycamore Electric company in demonstrating and selling the Eden electric washing and wringing machines. The Eden is considered to be one of the best machines made and has the star of approval of the Good Housekeeping magazine.

Much comment has been heard of late in regard to the progressiveness of the DeKalb business men in the good road work proposition over near Maple Park. It appears that the commissioner over that way graded up a perfectly good highway and endeavored to better conditions, but instead, made the road almost impassable. Many a tourist has suffered machine accidents over on that road and on that account the route was passed up at that place.

Folk in this vicinity who have attended the Lutheran church in Leland are shocked to hear that the beautiful structure was burned to the ground a few days ago. The church cost $25,000 and only $5,000 insurance was carried on it.

Petitions are out this week for the signatures of voters in DeKalb, in regard to the selling of the old North school by the school board.

1942 – 75 YEARS AGO

The Chicago and North-Western railroad has received permission to close its station at Shabbona Grove in DeKalb County on the Spring Valley branch. It was authorized to remove the station building and make the station a pre-pay one. The Commerce Commission is having a busy session with many petitions to operate bus service to accommodate workers in the war production plants.

Construction work continues on the new science building at the Northern Illinois State Teachers college with the tower rapidly taking shape. The turrets which will adorn the upper portion of the tower have been completed in the stone work and the floor of the observatory has yet to be poured. The dome-shaped structure which will house equipment for studying the heavens will crown the tower of the building.

Received in the mail at the DeKalb Township High School was a package containing several of the marked towels of the high school. The towels had been taken from the school and somebody must have had a change of heart and decided to return them. A note had been pinned on one of the towels reading as follows: “I swiped these towels from the one who stole them from D.T.H.S. He was not a student there either.” The note was signed, “A Taxpayer.”

The auxiliary sugar board, which has been active in the courthouse lobby for several weeks, saw a little letup in the demands for sugar certificates for the first time since the board was established. Most of the canners have secured necessary sugar for canning for this time of the year, although many of them are expected to again visit the board this fall, when that work again prevails in the family household.

Announcement was made that a beauty shop is to be opened in Malta at the Hartman building, opposite the Ollman elevator. The shop is to be operated by Ann Hartman and Irene Tanner of DeKalb. The new shop is expected to be popular as the increased need for saving tires and gasoline are felt.

Many who noticed that the flag pole on top of the Central Illinois Light Co., was missing thought that it might have been blown down but this was not the case. The pole was taken down and strengthened and then was put back in place and today the American and minute man flags are again flying. A new American flag and a larger minute man flag were recently purchased and it was in view of this that the pole was taken down and strengthened.

1967 – 50 YEARS AGO

DeKalb’s Municipal Building on South Fourth Street is taking shape. High panels of precast concrete have been installed, the roof has been constructed and work on the interior is now starting.

Leasing of 55 acres of forest preserve land to DeKalb County schools for use as a natural resources education and Demonstration Center was approved.

Automatic Electric Company, Genoa Branch will begin a major expansion in the very near future. The expansion will include a new 173,000 square foot building North and East of the present facility building and will involve extensive rearrangements and remodeling of the present facility.

1992 – 25 YEARS AGO

Illinois’ new $28.4 billion spending plan should last through the budget year without an overhaul, predict lawmakers who needed an overtime session to finish their work and quit for the summer.

With a slash of Gov. Jim Edgar’s pen, DeKalb lost more than $400,000 in sales tax increment financing (TIF) money. Local officials are looking at the fall veto session for an override of Edgar’s $30 million in budget cuts, which include the $12 million returned to cities with sales TIF districts.

Suggestions were offered at the DeKalb Park District board meeting for a new name for Huber park on the southwest side of DeKalb. The search for ideas of whether or not the park should be renamed came about due to the recent park district purchase of 27 acres of wetlands next to the existing park. Park board commissioners wanted to avoid calling the now larger park by two different names and have asked for input on a change. Commissioner Don Baars offered the board a petition with 53 names on it asking that his suggestion of calling it Peoples’ Park be adopted. He said that was the name of the park for a time after the name of Pershing Park was abandoned and before it became known as Huber Park.

– Compiled by the Joiner History Room, DeKalb County Archives

Loading more