WATERMAN – On Sunday, May 4, Waterman Presbyterian Church will celebrate 150 years of worship, fellowship, and missions. A special worship service will begin at 10:30 a.m. in the sanctuary at 250 N. Cedar St. in Waterman. After the service, a luncheon will be served in the fireside room. All members, family, and friends are invited to attend worship and the luncheon.
The service will honor the church’s five longest-term members, whose collective years total 343 years of membership. The service will also include ringing of the original silver-filled bell from the old church steeple, and the singing of the Centennial Hymn written 50 years ago. The sermon will be delivered by Dr. John Rickard, General Presbyter and Stated Clerk for Blackhawk Presbytery.
Waterman Presbyterian Church was organized in May 1864, when the United States was engaged in the Civil War. The church was organized by 11 people who became the first members. The church was originally named Clinton Center Presbyterian Church, but in 1872 the name was changed to Waterman Presbyterian Church.
In October 1874, the first wooden church building was dedicated. Waterman Presbyterian Church has been located on the same site since that date. A Sunday School building was added to the property and dedicated in 1950, and in 1958, a new Manse was built next door. The congregation voted in favor of replacing the old wooden church building in December 1965, and the new brick sanctuary was dedicated on Oct. 8, 1967. It continues to be the church’s home today.