1. Vintage Shop Hop. About 200 northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin antiques and thrift stores are taking part in this weekend-long event. There will be discounts, giveaways, art demonstrations, flea markets, and ideas on ways to repurpose old items. Local participants include Carters Cottage, Cracker Jax, Decades Vintage, Green Tangerine, Lavish Thrift, Moxie, My Favorite Things, and Poppyseed Primitives in DeKalb, Hummingbird in Genoa, Harvest Lane and Josie's in Maple Park, Blumen Gardens, Made Just For You, Two Sisters, Wren's Nest and Sycamore Antiques in Sycamore. Visit www.facebook.com/VintageShopHopEvent for a complete list.
2. Enjoy some family fun. The Maple Park Fun Fest Committee is hosting a Spring Fling Family Fun Night from 5-7 Saturday at the Maple Park fire station, 305 S. County Line Road. There will be dancing, games, food, Minute to Win It challenges, a DJ and prizes. Cost is $5 per family, which includes a hot dog meal. For more information, visit www.MapleParkFunFest.com.
3. Make a bid for history. The Hinckley Historical Society Dinner and Auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. Saturday at Hinckley-Big Rock High School. Tickets are $20 and are available at Resource Bank in Hinckley, the Hinckley Public Library, and South Moon Barbecue. There will be music, food catered by Dairy Joy, and a live auction. This is the main fundraiser for the historical society museum.
4. Catch a big one. The Sycamore Park District's Spring Fishing Derby will be from 8 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Sycamore Lake. Cost is $4 for park district residents, $5 for nonresidents.
5. Take time for mom. Cabana Charley's in Sycamore will host a Mom's Madness event, featuring a number of vendors like lia sophia, Thirty-One, Origami Owl, Avon and Scentsy. Find a Mother's Day gift or enjoy a little boutique shopping from noon to 2 p.m. Sunday.