1. Bunny time – Start with Breakfast With the Bunny from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday at the Cortland Lions shelter, 70 S. Llanos St. Cost is $12 per family (2 adults and the children from their household) for pancakes, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs and pictures with the Easter Bunny.
You can follow it up by taking the kids to an Easter egg hunt at Chamberlain Park in Genoa (10 a.m.), the Maple Park Library in Maple Park (11:30 a.m.) or Kingston Township Park in Kingston (noon).
2. Star Wars Day – 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday at the DeKalb Public Library. "Star Wars" fans of all ages won't want to miss this: costume contest for 14 and younger, wookiee yell contest for teens and adults, "carbonite" demonstration by NIU STEM, lightsaber training and building, Destroy the Death Star, Star Wars Yoga, and more.
3. Thrifty shopping – From 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, there will be a community flea market at St. Mary's Parish Activity Center, 322 Waterman St. in Sycamore. Plus, if you're shopping for kids, the spring North School Children's Resale at the Sycamore High field house will be from 9 a.m.-noon and 1-2 p.m.
4. Family fundraiser – From 6-9 p.m. Saturday at the Newman Catholic Student Center, 512 Normal Road in DeKalb. $10 admission includes pizza from Pizza Villa and a showing of "Frozen" for the kiddos, while adults can enter raffles and bid on silent auction items. Proceeds help the Canadays, a local family dealing with their son's medical issues due to a congenital heart defect, and the father's recent cancer diagnosis.
5. Happy anniversary, calypso-style – The NIU Steelband is celebrating its 40th anniversary. A number of steelband alumni and other guest artists will join the band in a free anniversary concert at 3 p.m. Sunday at Boutell Memorial Concert Hall inside the NIU Music Building, on Lucinda Avenue in DeKalb.