SYCAMORE – When school is out for the summer, children who rely on school breakfasts and lunches may worry about their next meal. The Merchants of Downtown Sycamore are hosting the second annual Out of School Food Drive July 9-14 to help build a better community by fighting hunger today.
Eleven businesses will collect food and necessities that appeal to children. Suggested items include peanut butter, canned fruit, soup, baby food, diapers, cereal, and canned meals like Spaghettios, but any food donations will be appreciated.
Monetary donations will be accepted also. Donations will be given to the Sycamore Food Pantry.
Some businesses will offer something special for customers who make food donations.
• Riccardi’s will offer a free mini-cone.
• Made Just for You will take 10 percent off the price of food or drink mixes and will build a castle of donations in the window, temperatures permitting.
• STOMP shoes will offer $20 off a $100 Red Wing purchase.
• Sweet Earth will take $5 off a $20 purchase.
• Bullfrogs and Butterflies Children’s Resale Shoppe and Christian Connection each will take 10 percent off an entire purchase.
• D & D Jewelers will take 25 percent off the price of a Skagen Watch.
• The Midwest Museum of Natural History will offer a 10 percent discount on any gift shop purchase.
• The Garden Market will take 1 percent off for each food item brought in, up to 40 percent off.
Other participating businesses include Prairie on State Winery and Paulsen’s Appliances.