Fair
66°FFairFull Forecast

Looking Back: April 3, 2013

Published: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:38 p.m. CDT

(Continued from Page 4)

125 YEARS AGO

April 4, 1888

Emery Wilmarth, who has been sick for six weeks, is a little better, but is far from well yet.

The mush-and-milk sociable at C.F. Ely’s was a success and all had a good time and enjoyed the mush and milk well enough for once, but agreed that it would make a poor regular diet.

A fire started in the warehouse situated along the railroad track and belonging to the Ellwood factory. The factory hands turned out in force with pails and it was soon extinguished. Another fire started in the Congregational parsonage that afternoon, and gained considerable headway. A meeting was being held in the church adjoining at the time, and the blaze was gotten pretty well under control before the fire department got their steam into play.

The chief of police of Joliet was found guilty of illegally arresting the editor of the Express. He was fined $50 and costs amounting to $200. The arrest was made because the editor, in his paper, criticized the conduct of the chief.

Over 10 years ago, the Congregational Church at Wheaton was divided into two congregations as a result of factions in its membership. Death has since removed some of the principal parties, and today a meeting will be held with a view of reuniting the two churches.

Mr. Ed Wilt of Kirkland has secured the copyright on a new song. We can’t recall the title.

Gypsey, an elephant with abnormally-developed ears and a morbid appetite for old boots, woolen stockings, liquid paint and silk handkerchiefs, died in Chicago the other day. She is believed to have pined away because of her separation from a Rocky Mountain elk to which she was devotedly attached.

Mrs. Frank Leslie of New York has reduced to an art the awkward task of refusing marriage proposals. She receives, on average, offers of two masculine hearts a day, but replies to them all by mailing a printed form of refusal to the address of the ardent wooer. As soon as all the unmarried men of this country and Europe have proposed and been rejected, she hopes to have a little time to devote to more interesting matters.

100 YEARS AGO

April 5, 1913

The Ward House, Sycamore’s largest and most prominent hotel, has been sold and will be remodeled throughout.

Arthur Mullarkey, a young man who frightened people by flourishing a revolver at his boarding house in DeKalb, was adjudged insane and committed to the state hospital. His mind is said to have been affected by over-study.

Charles Aves recently installed a soda fountain in his confectionery in Kingston.

May 1, the village of Kirkland will experience the peculiar sensation of being a dry town, as far as licensed saloons are concerned, and we all hope to see it continue to prosper.

In striking contrast to the wedding of her half-sister, Alice, was the ceremony this morning that made Miss Ethel Roosevelt the wife of Dr. Richard Derby. The wedding was one of the simplest of the season.

The people of DeKalb County, who are well-acquainted with Fred Dolph, the talented lawyer who has appeared in the courts here, are interested in the sensational suit being heard in Kane County brought by Mr. Dolph’s former wife because of his failure to pay her the alimony decreed by the court.

75 YEARS AGO

April 6, 1938

Completion of the beautiful new church edifice for St. John Lutheran Church at South Main and Ottawa streets in Sycamore is set for the middle of May.

Four persons were injured in a head-on collision between westbound passenger train No. 1, the Great Western Limited, and an eastbound freight train at the Clare west switch crossover shortly after 10 o’clock Sunday night.

A DeKalb doctor convicted in November 1936 on a manslaughter charge is in the county jail, charged with driving an automobile while intoxicated and leaving the scene of an accident.

Leslie Boga was arrested in Yorkville last week on a state warant. Boga was arrested last fall, charged with being a chicken thief. He was to have made restitution, but failed to pay for the chickens and Sheriff Larson asked that he be arrested.

50 YEARS AGO

April 3, 1963

Bishop McLaren Center, in the 700 block of South Somonauk Street in Sycamore, will cease operations June 8. Soon after that, the entire property will be offered for sale. Thus ends 75 years of history for a Sycamore institution and landmark.

The board of directors of Sycamore Community Park fired its first salvo in its 1963 war on park litterbugs this week.

The Rock River Conference of Methodist Churches has filed suit in DeKalb County Circuit Court. The conference claims it was illegally taxed to the amount of $4,055.62.

Children should remember when they are riding their bicycles, especially in the street, they too are subject to all rules of the road. One of these rules is to signal when making either a left or right hand turn.

– Sycamore True Republican

25 YEARS AGO

April 6, 1988

Roger Hopkins, DeKalb’s community development director, has been named executive director of the DeKalb County Economic Development Corporation.

From the university to public schools and the Farm Bureau, leaders are mobilizing support for a state income tax increase to fund education.

Moving day for the Voluntary Action Center from Barb City Manor, DeKalb, to its new office at 1606 Bethany Road, Sycamore, was last Friday.

Raised 70 feet in the air, the gigantic 1,200-square-foot Shireland sign and message center was erected recently along the north side of Interstate 90 just east of the U.S. 20 (Marengo-Hampshire) exit in preparation of welcoming thousands of visitors to Shireland, the new, $2 million summer family attraction opening May 28.

– The MidWeek

More News

Reader Poll

What is your favorite part of fall?
Cooler weather
Changing leaves
Apple- and pumpkin-flavored everything
Football