Casting call: Co. auditions for six plays
DeKALB – Stage Coach Players will hold auditions for its spring/summer 2013 season March 2, 3 and 4 at Immanuel Lutheran Church, 511 Russell Road in DeKalb. Auditions will be conducted from 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday and 7 to 9 p.m. Monday.
Stage Coach Players is a nonprofit organization with a mission to foster an appreciation for theater and create opportunities for those who want to participate in theater. All aspiring performers, regardless of experience, are encouraged to consider auditioning for one or more productions. Additional information can be found at www.stagecoachers.com.
Auditions will be held for the following shows:
• “The Robin Hood Capers,” by Fred Carmichael, directed by Anita Biletzky. The director seeks four women, ages 25-105, and six men, ages 30-105. Participants will be asked to read cold from the script. Four of the major roles are elderly characters; young actors will be asked to audition as old. Those who think they are old will be asked to audition as older. Performances will be May 2-12.
• “Shrek: The Musical,” music by Jeanine Tesori, book and lyrics by David Lindsay-Abaire. Based on the DreamWorks Animation film and the book by William Steig. Directed by Gloria Dennison, musical direction by Judy O’Connor. The director seeks a large cast, ages 7 to 70-plus. The cast will consist of four men, two women and a large ensemble, with many featured roles. Participants will be asked to cold read from the script, sing at least 16 bars of a musical number and dance. Performances will be June 6-16.
• “The Red Herring,” by Michael Hollinger, directed by Bernie Schuneman. The director seeks one man and one woman in their 20 or 30s, one man and one woman in their 30s or 40s and one man and one woman older than 50. Participants will be expected to read from the script in groups and to read provided monologues. Performances will be July 11-21.
• “Company,” music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, book by George Furth. Directed by Ryan Morton, musical direction by Nika Plattos. The director seeks eight women and six men in their 20s through 50s. Participants need to prepare 16 measures of song (Sondheim or similar would be preferred) and be ready to sing something from “Company.” A cold read from the script and a short dance audition will also be required. Performances will be Aug. 8-18.
• “The Lion in Winter,” by James Goldman, directed by David W. Booth. The director seeks four men ages 16 to 30-plus, one man in his 40s to 60s, one woman in her late teens to late 20s and one woman 50-plus. Participants will read semi-cold from monologues selected by the director, which may be from the script or may be representative of the characters. Participants will have time to rehearse before the audition. High school- and college-aged men are strongly encouraged to audition. Performances will be Sept. 12-22.
• “Rope,” by Patrick Hamilton, directed by G. Scott Morris. Details about audition requirements will be available the day of auditions. Performances will be Oct. 10-20.